Tag Archives: educational system

Mexican Education Equivalences in North America

So many families have chosen Arcos Bambu as the ideal home for their children. As a result, we’d like to inform you about the Mexican education equivalences and the pre-registration process for the 2018-2019 school year.

As every year, the Secretary of Education of Quintana Roo (SEQ) requests that parents pre-register their children at public and private schools.  Therefore, if your children go to public schools from Primary to Secondary levels, the online registration will take place from February 1 to February 15, 2018.

On the other hand, children attending private schools, the process can be done directly at the schools. However, in both cases it is important to have your children’s CURP and birth certificate. As a result, you will expedite the pre-registration process and ensure a place at the school of your choice.

Educational System in Mexico and its equivalences with the system in North America (United States and Canada)

Playa del Carmen is a cosmopolitan community, in fact it’s home to residents from different parts of the world. If you are looking for enrollment information for your foreign children in Mexico, or do not understand the equivalences… this article will help you!


Ages: from 6 weeks to 2 years

Equivalent to Nursery School

This level is available only in private schools. In addition, it is an educational daycare service. It is a child care service that can include early stimulation, recreational and artistic activities.

Required: NO

Kinder 1 and 2

Ages: 3 and 4 years

Equivalent to Pre-school

In these grades, children develop their skills to be more independent. Teachers include activities such as gross and fine motor activities, songs, games and socialization activities.

Required: NO

Kinder 3 or pre-primary

Age: 5 years old

Equivalent to Kindergarten

In this grade, students initiate essential reading activities to attend primary school. Motor stimulation is continued, as well as the social development of the child.

Required: Yes, it is necessary to have completed this degree to be able to start primary education.


Age: 6 years old

Equivalent to pre-first

This grade is required in some bilingual schools, where all the subjects are taught in the English language. This grade aims to develop the ability of verbal, comprehension and written communication of the English language, before starting with the official contents of 1st grade.

Required: it depends on the school and the English language proficiency of the student.


Age: 6 to 12 years

Equivalent to Elementary School (grades 1st to 6th)

Primary is the educational level that covers the ages of 6 to 12 years. In addition, it initiates the student in branches of knowledge such as reading, writing, mathematics, science, history, etc.

Required: Yes, it is necessary to have the primary certificate to start secondary education.

Middle school

Age: 13 to 15 years

Equivalent to Middle school (grades 7th-9th)

This level initiates the student in the study of specific sciences such as chemistry or biology, as well as pre-algebra in mathematics. In Mexico, schools usually offer job training workshops, where students learn skills such as drawing, cutting and making, computing, etc.

Required: Yes, it is necessary to have a high school certificate to start high school education.

High school

Age: 15 to 18 years

Equivalent to Middle school (grades 10th-12th)

The preparatory education has many variants, since there are specialized preparatory courses (pre-medicine, pre-engineering, sciences, etc.) or vocational high schools where the student attends his baccalaureate study at the same time as a technical degree.

Most of the private schools offer a traditional preparatory education. Nonetheless, in some cases it is more on focused subjects that can be taken according to the selection of university or degree.

Required: Yes, in case the student seeks to continue with university studies.

What do I need to register my foreign son or daughter in a Mexican school?

Luckily the schools in the Riviera Maya have experience managing foreign students. In most cases to register your children to school you will need the following documents:

  • Migratory document (visa, temporary or permanent resident)
  • Birth certificate (apostilled and translated, if it is in a language other than Spanish)
  • Report card of the school where the previous year was held
  • Passport or other form of identification
  • Vaccination card

These requirements may vary from school to school. Therefore, we highly recommend to verify in advance the necessary documentation at the school you have chosen.

Your children’s education is very important for us, so we want to  share  the different options available. We hope this information has been useful to you and please follow our blog to keep informed about everything that happens in Valle Bambu.